Sappi Forests requires a Forestry Manager – Khulisa to manage sustainable wood fibre supply into the various Sappi markets; balanced supply according to market demand; grow local enterprise and supply capacity to support growth whilst developing and growing local economy through facilitating cooperation by all stakeholders and build synergies with relevant departments.
- Conduct interim infield inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and Mill quality specifications to proactively mitigate; save lives and ensure efficiencies
- Develop a supplier development programme with set delivery targets and timelines by working closely with the uLwazi team and the ESD programme to ensure sustainable wood fibre supply and prosperity for the suppliers
- Ensure adherence to the chain of custody principles through spot audits on a proportionate percentage of supplied wood fibre volume for the month monitoring the source “infield audits” and the supplied volume versus contractual volume to combat criminal activity
- Facilitate the development of cordial relationships between suppliers; their neighbours and the local business community through local farmer associations and Fire Protection associations membership to ensure collaboration and cooperation between stakeholders and improve response disastrous events.
- Manage relationships with DAFF, DRDLR; DWAS; IDC; Traditional Councils and local municipalities by supporting interventions of common interests and extending invitations to stakeholder outreach programmes including grower days
- Ensure technical knowledge transfer to the suppliers by encouraging maximised supplier involvement in their business operations through regular infield engagements and planning discussions “cover APO and budgets” at the end of seasons as well as grower field days
- Ensure compliance to legislative and company policies & procedures by holding others to account and training where necessary to ensure fair trade and prosperity
- Monitor harvesting performance; scheduling of short-haul & loading operations to ensure grower service providers benefit from timeous interventions and achieve targets
- Ensure that relations with communities and other internal & external stakeholders are effectively maintained & managed to uphold the company image through proactive risk identification and mitigation, and enhanced relations through regularly planned engagements.
- Monitor loan recovery by prioritising wood fibre on the annual harvesting APO before spot timber and monitor infield stocks versus sales and TCS recovery reports reducing loss to the company
- Ensure that all projects have the necessary required resources and capacity to achieve targets by determining scope of annual activities and recruit and or develop the required skills
- Encourage suppliers to invest in equipment that is owned by farming community cooperation through farmers association or FPA to improve access and availability and profits to the growers.
- Evaluate quality maintenance of all activities by conducting monthly infield audits (assess stocks planted and harvested; weed maintenance and fire preparations) on a minimum 10% of the months to maintain silvicultural standards; minimise risk and loss through timeous intervention.
- Communicate with the Logistics office to optimise delivery against targets and attain customer satisfaction
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification
- At least 8 years of experience in timber procurement and/or forestry management.
- A Logistics and/or Transport Management qualification will be advantageous.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kwambonambi, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A