Website Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
The underwriter works independently developing recommendations and applying judgment based on the financial analysis. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with brokers in order to generate premium dollars and profitably. Territory assignments somewhat complex in nature concerning coverage and agent/broker/ relationships. May assist with the research, development and presentation of new programs, forms and manuals.
- May participate in underwriting meetings with brokers, clients and other underwriters. Meetings typically include CFOs, CEOs of client organizations and several underwriters from other organizations. The CFO/CEO provides information. The underwriter clarifies and questions information provided by the client to appropriately assess the risk. Typically accompanied by a senior underwriter or above.
- Under technical direction, assesses a company’s risk profile and determines/negotiates the appropriate pricing, coverage, terms and conditions by analyzing a company’s financial documents/operations/management/industry and other information. Including, but not limited to the company’s viability, issues, governance, regulatory environment, and experience.
- The underwriter analyzes, with a high level of technical expertise, exposures to loss, develops an adequate premium charge for the exposure, and determines appropriate endorsements and exclusions to address loss exposures for the insurance contract. Within department guidelines, places reinsurance, if any, for the account.
- Handles moderately complex policy maintenance items and other mid-term requests. Reviews endorsement requests and processes necessary changes to the policy. Follows up on outstanding information as required. Reviews claim activity and takes appropriate action.
- With supervision, establishes and maintains effective relationships with brokers in order to generate premium dollars and profitably. Accompanies other underwriters to broker offices as required for marketing visits. Frequently entertains brokers to market services and ensure strong relationship to write business.
- Achieves team production and loss ratio goals within assigned territory through sound marketing. The underwriter continually analyzes premium and loss results in their territory by agency, state, major class of industry and by line of business.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
- Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: General knowledge of lines underwriting policies, practices and procedures, insurance law and underwriting marketing principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of financial documents, financial analysis, investments, market conditions essential. Ability to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing, interpersonally with individuals at various levels and groups via telephone, fax, e-mail and in person.
- Demonstrates effective negotiation skills. Ability to analyze insurance risks to determine acceptability including policy language, various commercial rating plans and methodologies, reinsurance.
- Ability to apply/learn job related computer software. Ability to devise business solutions to problems, implements the most appropriate, and monitor its effectiveness.
- Ability to make decisions with supervision.
- Education: Undergraduate studies with focus in finance, accounting, economics, and/or risk management. Degree preferred.
- Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.
- Experience: Typically 1 or more years related experience as a D&O and/or E&O Underwriter. Previous business or finance experience helpful.
Company: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Georgia, United States
Application Deadline: N/A